2014年9月21日星期日

Social Media – The new era of marketing

The social media sites that engaged in our normal daily life, such as Wikipedia, Facebook, YouTube, are markedly increased with time. Furthermore, the impact of social media on our human race and the whole society are increasingly significant. However, the phrase Social media has been tossed around a lot these days, and it can sometime be difficult to define precisely.

After the first class of IEMS 5723, I found the very understandable way to describe this phrase is to compare it with the regular ones. Media is an instrument to enable and support the communication. The traditional media can be comparing to a one-way street that provide you no opportunity to present your perspectives, no right to discuss with others, but listen and read. On the contrary, social media is a two-way street that allows everyone to share ideas, photos, videos, likes and dislikes, and provides you a bunch of chances to find friends, dates, communities and business opportunities. According to the lecture, social media is remarkable competitive in its coverage, immediacy, reach ability, frequency, accessibility, permanence, etc.



Figure 1.regular media and social media

Because of these features, social media is of particular interest to businesses, and it does provide a new approach to an efficient and joyful marketing. The advertising revenue of Facebook reached USD $4.3 billion in 2012. There comes the term, social media marketing, which take advantage of the exploding popularity of social media sites to reach potential customers. For instance, Nike, a world famous company, once initialized an absorbing activity via Wei Chat. It asks users to upload a photo of their favorite shoes, and then Nike would generate a customized pattern for each customer with a link of online purchasing. The success of this practice own to plenty factors, the most significant one is the right analysis of social media, which appears as the most significant and thorny tissue to all sizes of businesses.


Fortunately, IEMS 5723 is such a course that shows us the methods of analyzing social media. The first two lectures gives us a general understanding of social media analytics, covers the fundamental paradigms, technology, users and user generated contents (UGC) analyzing, nature language processing (NLP), etc. And I am looking forward to the next lecture. 



Reference

[1] Social Media [Online] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_media
[2] Khang, H, Ki, E, & Ye, L, Social media research in advertising, communication, marketing, and public relations, Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly, May, 2012.
[3] Cool Social Media Marketing [Online] http://www.solveitmedia.com/

13 条评论:

  1. The social media is very important in our life, and I found you said clearly in your blog.

    回复删除
    回复
    1. Thanks for your comment, and your blog is quite impressive as well ^-^.

      删除
  2. Thanks for your sharing. I'm especially interested in the Nike case coz i'm fond of basketball and have bought many Nike shoes before, last weekend i've bought last HyperDunk 2014 which is really cool. I may try the official Wechat and find my favorable shoe through the platform. And i do agree with your comment about the lecture learning part. We can study and share more in the future.

    回复删除
    回复
    1. Really appreciate your comment, and thanks for your own experience sharing. It looks like we really have something in common, as we all love shoes, and enjoy the convenience that social media brought us. Looking forward for more sharing and disicussion.

      删除
  3. The picture is attractive. Some features of social media you mentioned in the blog is detailed. By the way, what's your opinion about the future of media? Will the paper media replaced by the e-media?

    回复删除
    回复
    1. Really appreciate your comment and questions. For the future media, I cannot anticipate the exact model or performance, but I believe it will still be customer-oriented and could be more customized, and the marketing will be much softer, even entertaining. For the second question, I personnally think the e-media has already take the place of paper media in most parts of our daily life, and the evolution will continue. However, paper, as a remarkable milestone in the development of human civilization and a witness of all the evolution of our humen race for thousand years, won't fully fade away.

      删除
  4. Hi, CeCe~
    Social media is kind of WTA system because of the network effects. So how to get and make use of the user sources of the social media is increasingly important to any kind of company such as Nike. And the way to analyze the source is what we called social media analysis. By the way, compared with Nike, I prefer Adidas. And you?

    回复删除
    回复
    1. Thanks for your comment. I wholeheartedly endorse your opinion on the network effects and user sources, I believe users could always be the central factor of social media, regardless of what advanced techenology is adopted. We do have tacit mutual on the understanding of social media, but, honestly, I still choose Nike over Adidas. ^_^

      删除
  5. Sorry I'm late for the comment on your blog.You are quite hard-working on learning this topic because I find the references at the bottom.Learn from you.

    回复删除
  6. Hello! Thanks for your sharing. Since more and more people rely on social media, more and more fields want data analyzing on social media to find what are the thoughts and pattern of people. I think it will have huge needs in the future and it will bring new patterns for different fields.

    回复删除
  7. It seems now social media is a part of our daily life that we can't leave.And I mentioned that your topic is the time of marketing, Actually I really interested in marketing of social media, Maybe we could talk about it later.And thanks for your share

    回复删除
  8. Social media definitely plays an important role in marketing. More and more companies rely on social media to promote their products and we can notice how it changes our online environment. So it is an interesting topic!

    回复删除
  9. Han Ce Thanks for your sharing. Since more and more people rely on social media, data analyzing on social media is very important.It is an interesting topic

    回复删除