2014年10月2日星期四

Social Media Analytics -- Content Analysis

The information overload in social media becomes increasingly noticeable. This multitude of information raises the demand of content analysis, especially, information retrieval: extracting useful relevant information from a set of document. Lecture 3 demonstrated the main components of content analysis, which are document comparison, text classification and text clustering.


Document comparison
Document is constituted by numerous words in various orders, no doubt, it can be represented, analyzed and comparing by some particular words. The most representative word can be defined as the ones with high Term Frequency & Inverse Document Frequency (TF-IDF), the product of Term Frequency (number of times this word appears in this document) and Inverse Document Frequency
(). TF-IDF value increases proportionally to the frequency of a word in the document, but is offset by the occurrences of the term in the corpus, which attenuates the effect of terms that occur too often in almost every document.

Text classification
1.     Approaches
Two document classification approaches are listed as follows.
1)    Hierarchical categorization
Hierarchical categorization is a tree distribution, each document belongs to a unique category associated with it, and the categories are arranged hierarchically, as Figure 1. The most distinct drawback of this method could appear, when some elements not fit distinctly in one category.

Fugure1. Example of a hierarchical category

2)    Tag Categorization
Tag-based categorization is opposed to Hierarchical categorization, which means documents can be assigned to numerous related categorical tags.

2.     Technique
The text classification of new data can be implemented by a classifier, trained by using labeled data. Naïve Bayed text classification, the most popular sorting technique, classifies documents based on the frequency of representative words.

Text clustering
Text clustering can be briefly defined as grouping the similar objects in the data, by measuring their similarity using similarity functions. This clustering technique shows an outstanding contribution in the text domain, where the objects are of different granularities (such as documents, paragraphs, terms, etc.), especially in improving retrieval and supporting browsing.

Clustering can by generally divided, based on its results, into hard (one item to one cluster) and soft (one item to multiple clusters), K-Means Clustering and Model-based clustering are the most representative algorithms of these two clustering categories, respectively.



Reference:

[1] Klieber, P, Document classification through data mining social media networks, November, 2009.
[2] Aggarwal, CC, Zhao, Y, & Yu, PS, On text clustering with side information, ICDE Conference, 2012.

11 条评论:

  1. Hi,CeCe. I notice that you have mentioned three components of content analysis,document comparison, text classification and text clustering.What I am interested in is text clustering.Can you explain more on the division of it(whether is hard or soft)?Thanks!

    回复删除
    回复
    1. Thanks for your comment, and sorry for didn't detail the definition of soft and hard clustering. The result of K-means algoritm based clustering can be classified as hard or soft clustering algorithms. In hard clustering, each document can only belong to one exact cluster. In soft clustering, on the contrary, a document has fractional membership in several clusters.

      删除
  2. Hi, CeCe~
    I believe the content analysis is crucial in social media analysis so I have write two relevant blogs to express my thoughts about content analysis. After reading your blog, I notice that we really have a tacit agreement. By using document comparison, text classification and text clustering, we can do a lot of analysis, such as the emoticons fixed with text which I mentioned in my blog. You can have a look and I expect for further discussion about that. ^_^

    回复删除
    回复
    1. Hi, Guanze~
      I have read your blog already. You mentioned emoticons in your blog and you said that emoticons can not fully present people's mood. I totally agree with you. And the way to calculate the percentage of whether emoticons is used correct is very useful. Thank you.

      删除
  3. You write a explicit summary of content Analysis included in the lecture. The structure of article is clear. The document comparison is very useful in social media analysis and I also mention it in my blog. Besides, you also describe how use the technique to implement classification. I benefit much from your article. Thanks.

    回复删除
  4. I notice that you have mentioned three kinds of content analysis, the explain is so clear and I learn a lot from your share~

    回复删除
  5. your summaries is very useful and it dig in to the conceptual level, i review the class content by your post. In this paragraph, you mentioned content analyze. Maybe you can click in to my blog, I have practice some of algorithms in mentioned.

    回复删除
  6. Thanks for your share, your blog is very useful. Cauze I have read Guanze's blog .I think your blogs are corresponded,Connect to blogs, I have further understand the knowledge about it, which I really appreciate.

    回复删除
  7. Hi CeCe,
    You made a good summary of the techniques used in content analysis, and I learned something new except for what we have learn in class, such as the hierarchical and tag categorization techniques. Thanks for sharing.(●'◡'●)

    回复删除
  8. Content analysis is a core in this course. Actually we did two assignments of this course. I remember the second assignment is to analyze two documents' content and classify the given article into two classes. So document comparison, text classification and text clustering really count to solve this kind of problems. By the way, you have mentioned a very good example of a hierarchical category. It is really a useful technical blog. Thanks for sharing.

    回复删除
  9. The interdisciplinary knowledge on your blog always impressed me because I learn not only social media knowledge but also some thing about the Content. On this blog, you relate the Social Media with the Content Analysis , which offer a new method to consider the social media for me.

    回复删除